- Autoimmune disease characterized by erythematous macules and plaques occurring on light-exposed skin, as well as inflammation of skeletal muscle
- It is associated with visceral malignancies in some cases.
- Epidermal atrophy and interface change
- Mild lymphocytic inflammation and increased mucin deposition in the upper dermis
- Perivascular and periadnexal inflammation may be seen.
- The findings may be difficult to distinguish from those of lupus erythematosus.
- Vascular deposition of complement on immunofluorescence is highly sensitive and specific for dermatomyositis.