- One of the clinicopathological entities group under the heading of "central centrifugal scarring alopecia."
- Scarring alopecia begins on the crown or vertex and progressively spreads out.
- Most common in black women
- Perifollicular lymphocytic inflammation and fibroplasia may be the only changes seen in early lesions.
- Decreased follicle density
- Concentric lamellar fibroplasia around follicles
- Premature desquamation of the inner root sheath
- Late lesions show destruction of follicles with residual fibrous tracts at the sites of the destroyed follicles.