- Disease affecting bone marrow transplant recipients in which graft leukocytes attack various organs in the transplant recipient
- The skin is the first and most often involved organ.
- Skin manifestations include early erythematous macules and patches which may progress to generalized erythroderma and blistering.
- GVHD is graded according to the following scheme. The minimum criterion for a definitive diagnosis is grade 2.
- Grade 0: No pathologic change
- Grade 1: Basal vacuolization
- Grade 2: Basal vacuolization, necrotic keratinocytes, dermal inflammation
- Grade 3: Confluence of basal vacuoles
- Grade 4: Separation of epidermis from dermis