Sean Klepper M.D.
Artur Zembowicz M.D....
- Small, well-circumscibed, brown macule resulting from a benign increase in the number of melanocytes and melanin production
- The finding of widespread lentigines is known as lentiginosis profusa.
- Multiple lentigines can be seen in several syndromes:
- LEOPARD: Lentigines, electrocardiographic conduction abnormalities, ocular hypertelorism, pulmonary stenosis, abnormal genitalia, retardation of growth, deafness
- LAMB: Lentigines, atrial myxomas, cutaneous papular myxomas, blue nevi
- Peutz-Jeghers syndrome
- Lengigines may eventually give progress to melanocytic nevi.
- Increased density of basilar melanocytes compared to adjacent uninvolved skin
- Elongation of the rete ridges with a club-shaped appearance
- Hyperpigmentation of the basal epidermis, sometimes extending into the upper epidermis, often most pronounced at the tips of the rete ridges