Also known as: Malassezia folliculitis
- Caused by Malassezia furfur or Malassezia ovale
- Pruritic papules on the trunk, shoulders or face of young to middle-aged adults
- Greasy skin may be a predisposing factor.
- Dilated hair follicles with keratin plugs containing fungal spores
- Intra- and perifollicular inflammatory infiltrate comprised of neutrophils, lymphocytes and histiocytes
- Intra- and perifollicular mucin pools
- Hair follicles may rupture, inciting a foreign body granulomatous reaction.