- A chronic relapsing inflammatory disease most often involving the ears and nose
- Associated with polyarthritis, ocular inflammation and chondritis of the respiratory tract and cardiac valves
- Mortality rate as high as 25 percent
- Mixed inflammatory infiltrate consisting of lymphocytes, neutrophils and plasma cells in the dermis adjacent to deep subcutaneous cartilage
- Vacuolization and pyknosis of chondrocytes with eventual decrease in the basophilia of the cartilage
- Destruction of elastic fibers within the cartilage is seen on elastic stain.
- Old lesions show replacement of chondrocytes with fibrous tissue.