Sean Klepper M.D.
Artur Zembowicz M.D....
- The most common cause of a suppurative granulomatous response
- Present as a tender, erythematous nodule
- Dense, nodular, follicle-centered inflammatory infiltrate comprised predominantly of neutrophils, macrophages and giant cells
- Fragments of hair and/or keratinous debris are seen within the infiltrate and phagocytized by by multinucleated giant cells.
- The inflammatory response sometimes extends into the subcutaneous fat with a resultant lobular panniculitis.