Sean Klepper M.D.
Stephen Lyle, M.D., ...
- Papulosquamous eruption of probable viral etiology primarily affecting children and young adults
- A viral prodrome is followed by single large lesion known as a "herald patch." Later, a more generalized rash develops in a "Christmas tree" distribution on the trunk.
- The epidermis may be normal in thickness to mildly acanthotic.
- Focal parakeratosis, sometimes with one end of the parakeratotic focus "tilting up"
- Perivascular lymphocytic infiltrate with varying degrees of exocytosis
- Dyskeratosis and red blood cell extravasation may sometimes be present.