- Steatocystoma simplex: solitary, sporadically occurring cyst
- Steatocystoma multiplex: multiple cysts occurring as an autosomal dominantly inherited condition
- Small white or yellow lesions, most commonly on the trunk, axillae, groin, head or neck
- Often appear at puberty.
- Thin-walled cyst lined by squamous epithelium
- The lining epithelium is rugated and displays a wrinkled eosinophilic cuticle in place of a granular layer.
- Sebaceous glands characteristically line the cyst wall and open into the cyst.
- Hair follicles are sometimes present in the cyst wall.