Patient Service Rep, Part-time, Dermatology dept., W. Galena, Aurora, IL
Job ID Number:
Hours per pay period:
High School graduate or GED
• 1 year experience in a customer service position; medical office experience preferred.
• Clear and professional communication skills; both written and verbal.
• Functional PC skills with ability to learn various software programs.
• Able to meet minimum typing speed of 25 wpm with good accuracy.
• Pleasant and well developed customer service and interpersonal skills.
• Strong team orientation
• Understands concept of service recovery.
• Demonstrate potential to learn medical terminology.
• Proven ability to work well independently and in a team environment.
• Flexible and willing to rotate work stations with ease.
Ensures the provision of efficient, effective, quality customer service by performing a variety of general medical office duties; to include direct and indirect patient services while adhering to and upholding department and Dreyer Medical Clinic philosophy, policies, procedures and safety regulations. Works to support department processes, efficiency and effectiveness by performing a variety of practice management duties.
I. ACCOUNTABILITIES AND JOB ACTIVITIES:
A. (20%) Appointment Scheduling
1. Execute patient scheduling duties and document within the IDX system following provider specifics and scheduling guidelines.
2. Collect necessary information from patient when scheduling and/or cancelling appointments and documents/updates information in EPIC/IDX system(s).
3. Instruct patients on necessary preparations when booking appointments/testing using appropriate language to patient’s level of understanding guided by department protocols or provider/ nurse instructions.
4. Transfers calls when appropriate in accordance to transfer policy.
5. All communications with callers, internal and external, are conducted in accordance with department protocol, utilizing clinic scripting where indicated and in the manner expressed in the Behavioral Expectations guidelines.
B. (20%) Check Out
1. Acknowledge and assist patients with check out process.
2. Review and provide After-Visit summaries to patients.
3. Schedule follow up appointments for patients in the IDX/Web Advance system according to provider specifics.
4. Order radiology/lab tests, as indicated by provider.
5. Provide information related to MyChart and enroll upon patient’s request.
6. All Check Out interactions are conducted in accordance with department protocol, utilizing clinic scripting where indicated and in the manner expressed in the Behavioral Expectations guidelines.
C. (20%) Administrative Duties
1. Checks encounter and demographic forms for the following day and highlights the required information.
2. Check IDX/Web Advance/EPIC systems for completed patient information; attaches all necessary forms:
• PCP change
• Treatment of minors
• Verbal Release of Information
• Autism Screening
• Depression Screening
3. Support patient scheduling/message documenting according to department/clinic procedures, scripting, and guidelines provided in the Communication and Documentation Policies.
4. Monitor In-Basket for messages regarding Work-In appointments and telephone messages.
5. Support procedure for Provider Bump List; notification calls and re-scheduling.
6. Address and follow through on No-show appointments as procedure dictates.
7. Retrieve and act upon radiology/lab test results and re-fill orders following department protocol.
8. Ensure completion of all patient documentation within two full clinic business days after care and/or services have been provided according to the Missing Documentation policy guidelines.
D. (20%) Telephone Communication
1. Answers the telephone promptly within 3 rings.
2. Utilizes outlined departmental and clinic scripting/key words.
3. Displays a courteous, alert and pleasant tone of voice, speaking clearly.
4. Restates information to ensure clarity and accuracy.
5. Transfers calls when appropriate, staying on the line and announcing where and why call was transferred. Exceptions to announcing the call would include when transferring to an ACD agent.
6. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers
7. Logs onto the ACD system at assigned time, utilizing reason codes when appropriate.
E. (20%) Performs a variety of practice management duties in a time effective manner to maintain and/or enhance department processes, and positively impact customer service.
1. Addresses and works to resolve customer service issues utilizing behavioral expectation guidelines:
• Consistently recognizes problem situations that require action.
• Utilizes Service Recovery Standards, when necessary.
• Delegate problems through proper channels and follows through to seek resolution and patient satisfaction.
2. Serve as an advocate and liaison between patients, staff, providers and external customers by sharing necessary information to ensure continuity of care.
3. Coordinate, sort and distribute information within the department; (mail, faxes, interoffice envelopes, etc.)
4. Work to keep department, work stations and wait areas clean and orderly; void of food and drink.
5. Place supply orders following unit procedures.
6. Organize department supplies, as scheduled/warranted.
7. Attend and participate in department/organization meetings, in-services, training, etc. as required.
8. Knowledgeable of work and safety policies, procedures, protocols and changes to such, as related to position and employment expectations.
9. Supports team environment by:
• Performing additional duties, as needed.
• Acting flexibly to rotate work stations to provide coverage, as warranted.
• Using sound judgment to prioritize tasks.
Hours: 20 hours/week, Must be flexible to work anytime between M-F 8-5pm, may be one evening every other week until 7pm, every other Saturday 8-12pm